Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What an experience!

I am so happy to not be pregnant! I didn't realize how miserable I was until afterward. I forgot what it was like to feel normal, so I didn't realize how uncomfortable I was. I was planning on being induced on Friday, March 30, so that I could have a few extra days to recover and get back to school to take finals the 4th and 5th of April. Though Mackay had different plans.

I had been in pain all of Wednesday evening, most of that week, actually, but anyway... I finally got to sleep around midnight, then woke up at 2 in the morning from the pain. It just wouldn't go away. At about 3 I decided to time my "pains", realizing that there were times when it hurt worse than others. (I only had back labor). At that time they were 10 minutes apart. Usually to bring relief I would try heat, so I warmed up a rice pack, which I had been doing all week long, but that didn't help. I tried a hot bath, but that didn't help either. I then realized that I hadn't finished crocheting the baby blanket that I was planning on bringing Mackay home in, so I got out of bed and crocheted between contractions. Since we both had school in the morning, Nate was trying to get some sleep before class, though every ten minutes he would hear me moaning.

Watching the clock I would dread when ten minutes had passed because I would have another contraction, though I was also afraid of not having a contraction because I was ready to get this baby out. Four hours later, and my contractions still only 10 minutes apart, I was getting a little frustrated. Nate went to classes and e-mailed his boss that he would still probably be able to work that day. I then sweetly reminded him that I was in labor, and that him working wasn't very likely. We didn't let ourselves get too excited, just in case it was just false labor. It just didn't seem real. It was as far from the adrenaline pumping experience that I was anticipating.

To deal with the pain I would pace our little apartment over and over. For a while Nate walked with me, allowing me to hold onto his arm and brace myself against him during contractions. Though after a while Nate's "back was really hurting and he was tired" and had to sit down. After giving him a penetrating glare, we had a small chuckle about his complaining. By 11:00 Thursday morning we were finally timing contractions at 3 minutes apart for almost an hour. The catch here is ALMOST, because Nate was sure that we needed to wait for a full hour, and I was sure that I wanted an epidural as soon as possible. When it was only 15 minutes to the hour, Nate hesitantly started getting us ready to go. Our bags were packed, complete with treats for Nate, so you would think that we would be out the door quickly. But Nate thought it imperative that the house be picked up a little bit, so while I was moaning and groaning from contractions, Nate was making the bed and cleaning the kitchen. But we finally left the house.

I didn't want Nate to drop me off at the front because I didn't want to be by myself, so we parked in the only empty spaces in the very last row of the parking lot. I would waddle as fast as I could until a contraction would start, then I would try to nonchalantly walk through the pain because I didn't want to draw attention to myself. They broke my water as soon as I was admitted and I got the epidural as soon as they pumped me full of fluids. The sharp pain in my back was constant, and got ten times worse during contractions, so I was ready for the relief.

After two doses of the epidural and a quick power-nap, I was ready to push. After the first few times I couldn't believe how easy this process was. In all the movies you see women sweating and gasping for air, but I didn't understand that, it was such a breeze. But times those two pushes by 100 and an hour and a half later, and you're getting pretty tired.

Nate was a great coach. Between my pushing sets he would spoon ice chips into my mouth like a pro. Oh, and black cherry ice chips are to die for. I was craving them the rest of the time, but never asked for them because I was a little embarrassed to still be wanting them even after I could eat food.

After an hour and a half of pushing, Mackay was starting to go into distress, and I was really tired, so we had to hurry and get her out. As soon as the doctor arrived, he got out the vacuum and had our baby out in minutes. My first thought of our little angel was, "Your head looks so funny!" But it was thought with love. She ended up being 7 lbs. 6 oz. and 20 inches long.

By the time I had Mackay the epidural had worn off and I could walk around. I got to shower and get all cleaned up while Nate stayed with Mackay and watched her get her first bath. I couldn't believe how much I loved her! That is, until she wouldn't stop crying. She was not happy to enter this world just yet, and made sure we all knew it. Though after six hours, she finally went to sleep, and she's been pretty good ever since.

Luckily we had my mom to stay with us and help out with the baby while we studied for finals. I don't know how Nate had only two tests to take and I was stuck with six, but I tried not to complain too much. After the first test I was no longer embarrassed to walk around campus with my donut, and everyone in my classes were holding their breath to see if I would come to the test no longer pregnant, so it worked out okay.

We're still getting used to taking four hours to watch a movie, and not being able to eat dinner on our own schedule, but we love our little girl so much and are so grateful to have her in our lives.

0 comments: