MOST of the time it is great being a stay-at-home mom, just hanging out with Mackay all day. I say 'most' because it is not always a bundle of joy. There are days that I am completely envious of Nate going off to work; he gets to have conversations with adults all day--how cool would that be? I love what Elder Ballard said a few conferences ago about being a mom, "the joy of motherhood comes in moments." I hate wiping off little hands all day long. I hate cleaning up an entire box of 64-count wipes when they are strewn all over the floor. I hate going to the grocery store with a toddler. I hate changing poopy diapers. I've learned to hate the words, "Don't touch." "Mine." and "Holdyou" (one word--means hold me.) At a party with Nate's co-workers a couple months ago, I was having a conversation with some fellow moms who said they couldn't imagine staying home with their children all day long. After 6 weeks of life, they put their child into daycare for 8 hours a day. I was completely shocked! Why have kids then? No offense, some people have to work, I understand that. But if there is an option, we should want to raise our own children. Yes, it is frustrating, monotonous, and completely exhausting. But I wouldn't trade it for anything! Below are pictures from the last week that is proof of the joy of motherhood:
I have to say thank heaven for Playgroup. Mackay and I look forward to it every week. Last week Mackay made a hat for St. Patrick's Day. She had to wear it all the way home (ruining the squiggly ears that I made for her). She also had to have it on during meal times. She was so proud of it!I've tried to be more creative with Mackay. It can sometimes get boring at home, and I usually end up going to some store needing to buy something. This afternoon I thought it would be fun for her to play "chef." I got some rice in a bowl, gave her a pot, some measuring cups and spoons, and some utensils to stir it with. She also insisted on having her "apron" on. She was a culinary genius. After a while of doing this, and feeding her creations to her stuffed bear that was sitting nearby, she accidentally spilled a cup full of rice all over the floor. When she heard my high-pitched scream she thought it was hilarious. I tried to guard the rice, but her little hands always seemed to get through and throw more of the rice on the floor. I have never heard her laugh so hard in my life. So, I let it continue.
Looks fun, huh. I got out a big broom, and then a little handheld broom with a dustpan. Mackay wanted to help sweep--so she took the big broom. I'm trying to teach her how to help clean up her messes, so I let her keep the big broom. So I swept up the entire room on my hands and knees with a little brush while Mackay pushed it all over the floor. Mackay and I were playing in her room this morning, and I saw her just laying there with her head in a box. She was "hiding" (since she can't see me, I can't see her). She was hiding her head in the box because she had found a binkie, and knowing that she doesn't get those outside of bed, decided to hide from me so she could suck on it.
I had a good laugh and ran and got my camera. I have at least one good laugh a day, and usually one pull-my-hair-out moment. But they cancel each other out.
5 years ago

7 comments:
Love the rice everywhere! It reminds me of one of Wm's favorite activities--getting out the wheat. It involves a big tuperware of wheat that has measuring cups, spoons, boxes, plastic eggs, a whisk, cars, little "dudes", etc. He could play with it for hours (and he has). It is a big mess, but it makes both of us happy. Keep up the fun activities!
I LOVE the picture of Mackay smiling because she has made a huge mess. Love it!! We enjoy to make big messes like that here too. I have a couple of websites/blogs that I get some fun ideas from if you want them, let me know (Kerstin has given some of them too me too, so I can't take all the credit).
Well, we really miss her when we see these pictures and read all the fun things she does to entertain you. She must really love you as her Mom or she wouldn't try so hard to keep you from being bored. When is Mackay coming to visit again?
Congrats by the way. Yeah I hope you guys don't have to go through this. We wish you were still right across the hall too. Except we would probably in Utah since she was so early. Oh well. I love the apron. That is so cute. When are you guys coming down again? We miss playing with you. I have those "bad mom" days too and think why did we have another. So prepare yourself. But at the end of the day when they ask for you and want to cuddle with you it makes you forget how bad they were.
I totally know how you feel. There are days when I have just had it with Jane, but I agree with you about wanting to be there. There are a few people at my work that are there because they choose too and don't want to be home all day with there kids. I don't get it. All though, I have to say, I'm going to be filling in for somebody while she is on maternity leave for 6 weeks, and I'm pretty excited to be out and with adults for a couple weeks.
I loved this post. It totally sums up some feelings I've been having lately. Isn't it such a blessing to be able to stay home with your children? Although it is really tough sometimes, I think I would feel really sad if I was gone all day while my kid was in daycare. I know some people have to work, but if you have the choice I think you owe it to your kids not to send them away every day for someone else to take care of them.
I saw a WifeSwap where a millionaire mom had three kids. "Me time" was very important to her, so her 3 nannies took care of everything. The mom said she saw her kids for about an hour a day. How sad!! Why even have kids if you only want to see them for one hour each day?
Anyway, I thought that picture/story about Mackay sneaking her binkie was hilarious. What a funny girl!
What a fun post! Mackay is such a smart girl...hiding in the box so she could have her binkie. :) You sound like you are a great mom!
Post a Comment