Monday, March 9, 2009

Mackay Sleeping, Eating Chalk, and More!

Mackay is growing up to be quite a character. The other day I was taking her out of her high chair after lunch, and she stood up on the arms of the chair, and fell asleep.
"Falling asleep" means she closes her eyes and pretends to snore. It is pretty funny every time. Especially now that she has started doing it standing up. (I know this is an awful picture, but I thought it was so cute showing her lips as she is snoring.)
Mackay and I went to Target, like usual, and were walking through the toys. I found some chalk for 99 cents, and decided that would be a fun activity to do out on our balcony. Of course Mackay treated it like make-up, and got it all over her face. I had her lay down and I traced all around her body. She thought it was so fun that she made me lay down. She didn't fully comprehend what I did, because she just started coloring all over me. When I would try to sit up, she would point at me and say, "down". So I was stuck laying on the ground, laughing, and trying to explain to her how to trace my body.
Here she is making funny faces.
Mackay is definitely growing up. The last week or so she has really been trying to dress herself. She is getting there, but at the same time she isn't. Whenever she does something herself, and we are about to go out, I let her stay the way she did it because I want her to know that I am proud of her and her accomplishments. Here she put her sweater on all by herself, backwards. I went to get the camera, and while I was out of the room she was trying to put her backpack on. She was having trouble getting it on, and so she got really frustrated (see below).
I helped her out a little bit with the backpack, and she was so proud of herself! She has recently started saying, "Ta da!" and throwing her arms out to the sides. I believe she got that from Cammie's little girl, Jane, because I don't often do that. One thing that Mackay has shown me that I do is I clap when I am getting frustrated. She says "Please" when she wants me to come with her to do something. If I don't come right away, she has started clapping as she says, "please". I had no idea where that came from until Mackay was getting into something she wasn't supposed to and I said, "Mackay, come here." When she ignored me, I started clapping and saying, "Mackay. Come Here." Oops. Oh, and back to picture below: we did go to Target with her sweater on backwards and her shoes on the wrong feet--and she was beaming with pride. Mackay has been helping me out a lot more in the kitchen, with stirring and holding things for me, and things like that. She has also started to need an apron. I bobby pinned this hand towel around her waist, and she loved it!
She got out some dishes and put them on the stove and was cooking away.
More of Mackay venturing out and exercising her right to choose: One morning Mackay wanted to go outside on the patio. She found some of her clothes lying on the floor and brought me her shorts to help her put on. Then her frilly church socks. And sandals. She loved her outfit. When she went outside and noticed that it was windy, which to her means "cold", she came back inside and demanded that she have her jacket on. Here is her finished ensemble. I think she looks dashing.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hehe - I loved this post! She is so cute and growing up so much. It's so fun to see their little personalities develop. :)

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures. I love her taste in clothing. You will just have to be sure you don't buy her any ugly clothes so she only has good choices. She seems to change every day. We miss her.

Mom Fillmore

Cammie said...

haha, she is sure funny. I love all the different outfits. I wish you guys were closer so her and Jane could play more!