Mackay had a fun birthday. On Saturday we went to the library and played with the puzzles, and to the store to pick out some presents. For dinner we had Mackay's favorite--pizza, or "pizzis". On Sunday we went on a walk and ruined all the anthills with sticks and then she did her very most favorite thing--went to nursery. When we got home Mackay had fun washing the windows with baby wipes and paper towels, and she helped me make her cake (she ate the frosting). Her friends, Abbie and Tori came over to open presents and have cake. They loved playing with the playdough and accessories she got. They stayed until about 10:00, and Mackay was laughing the whole time. Tori and Abbie (6 and 4), even got her pajamas on, brushed her teeth, and tried to put her to bed. After they left she called Grandma and Grandpa Barker, and she sang the never-ending song, "Happy Birthday." Lyrics, "Happy birthday, happy birthday, happy birthday to you, happy birthday, happy birthday, happy birthday to you..." (You get the idea). She then put her binkies into a bag so that we could send them to babies that really need them. That explanation didn't work too well, but when Nate said, "Mackay, I'll give you chocolate if you--" the binkies were in the bag; he didn't even need to finish his sentence. She went to sleep pretty well, and it looks like she is formally a "big girl" now--no more lap child!
Here is Mackay eating the badder from the cake mix. Making the cake was way too stressful. I thought that Mackay would like helping me with it. She got her "apron" on, and poured the water and oil into the mix. I then greased and floured the pans, put them out of reach (I thought), and turned my back for a minute. Mackay had grabbed one of the pans and ruined my beautiful flouring job. So I had to wash the pan, re-grease and re-flour it. Since we don't have beaters, (it broke a long time ago and we just haven't gotten another one yet), I had to stir the mix by hand--I don't have much strength in my arms. I then poured the batter into the cake pans, and noticed that they were barely covering the bottom. I then realized that I had forgotten the eggs. So I scraped out the cake badder, re-washed the pans, and re-re-greased and re-re-floured them. Finally they were in the oven. I took them out at the perfect time and turned them upside down. They fell out of the pans beautifully. But then I had the idea that I didn't want the cakes to cool upside down, so I got the gumption up to turn the hot cakes over with my bare hands. That obviously didn't work, and it fell into three parts. I didn't attempt it with the second cake. On Sunday morning, we decided to let Mackay open one of her presents before church. In trying to locate the wrapping paper, we realized it was no where to be found. Therefore, her first present was "wrapped" in a pillow case.
She got a water baby! I childhood dream of mine. My cousin Brittney had a water baby, and every time I would go over to her house I would just carry it around. It was magical. Here is Mackay reading him a story.
Later, when the Brockbanks came over for cake, we opened the rest of her presents--which were wrapped in tin foil. It was actually great, because you don't even need to use tape. She got two cars, playdough with accessories, two "shows" (dvds), and her water baby. Happy birthday, Mackay!
And stay tuned for tomorrows exciting announcement!
5 years ago

2 comments:
How exciting! I'm glad Mackay had a good birthday. I just read your bird watching post and it reminded me of when I was younger too. My dad always put birdseed along the window ledge and we loved seeing what birds would come to the window to eat. It looks like the two birds at your feeder are house finches, and you're right the red one is a male and the brown is the female. If you want a good bird book I recommend "Birds of North America" by Fred J. Alsop III. It is a great book for bird watching. (ISBN 0-7894-9373-X)
Looks like lots of fun! Can you believe our girls are getting so old!
Post a Comment