I'll post a picture (the only picture I have to show for this week) to appease those that are only reading this blog for the pictures. And then I have to tell you a story...
This picture is of Mackay wearing a scrap of fabric she found in her room behind her chair (aka my sewing 'room'). I can't get her to wear hats, but if something is tied around her head, she can keep it on forever.
So last night, (Sunday, June 29, 2008), at about 10:00pm, I was getting ready to go to bed so that I could wake up early Monday morning to get an early start on homework since Mackay is on a one nap a day schedule now. Right before I was about to go into my bedroom (Nate was watching a movie), I smelled an awful smell that resembled rotten eggs. Luckily, I had recently read a pamphlet that came with my gas bill, which said that natural gas does not have an odor, so they add one so that you can know if you are having a gas leak or not. The odor of natural gas is rotten eggs. It came on really suddenly and was extremely powerful, and when Nate checked in our closet that houses the water heater and heater and stuff, even more of an odor of rotten eggs came our way. Alarmed, we went and told the managers of our complex, who called the gas company, who told us to get Mackay out of the apartment. The manager went around knocking on doors waking everyone up to alarm them of a possible gas leak. Everyone else was smelling the rotten eggs it was so powerful, but it was mostly concentrated in our apartment. So at 10:00 last night, everyone with their children are hanging out on the front lawn waiting for the gas man to come. One couple hurried and packed their backpacks full of journals, pictures, and an extra change of clothes just in case. Poor Mackay just wanted to go to sleep, but she was a pretty good sport. Well, the gas man finally came (he had to drive from Rigby, 13 miles away), and he checked a couple of apartments and found nothing. By the time he got here, we also weren't smelling the rotten egg smell anymore, which was interesting. He had a scratch and sniff sticker for us to smell so we could tell if that was the odor that we were smelling. Half of the people said yes definitely, and the other half said no. He said he figured it was a sewer problem, and he left pretty grumpy. So at 11:00pm everyone could go back into their apartments and try to put their kids back to sleep. I was about to go to sleep just confused and embarrassed, when I realized what the smell was: a stink bomb. Of course, it's around 4th of July and fireworks are on sale. The smell came and went very quickly, and it was very potent. Our apartment smelled the worst because we had a fan in our window blowing it in. Needless to say, I felt really stupid, especially that everyone was evacuated from their apartments for an hour, and especially since it was something so silly. What a thrill, though!
5 years ago

8 comments:
Cute picture! I'm glad you included it. You didn't tell the neighbors it was a stink bomb did you? Maybe they still think you are a hero and just saved their lives
Love ya,
Mom
The Pink Pirate! Way cuter than any of Jack Sparrow's cohorts.
Better safe than sorry when it comes to stinky egg smell and Little Pink Pirates. You don't have to let it be known that you aren't the first to have a gas man call it safe!
Haha! How funny... now, though I doubt it was funny at the time! I'm glad your apartment didn't get blown up and that all was safe and sound.
oh that is such a funny story! Cute pictures of Mackay she is so cute.
Bean that was a great story. I hope your neighbors who packed their stuff up come across your blog somehow and find out what the smell really was.
From my side of the story, Kalli had just walked by me a few minutes before I started smelling something real awful. I think call the gas man was a cover up.
-Nate
*Gasp.* I can't believe you posted that, Nate. And for the record, I did not do anything.
-Kalli
Of course that had to happen on the night that you were trying to get to bed early. That was smart that you eventually figured out what was wrong...at least it happened in the summer so it wasn't so bad waiting outside. :)
Post a Comment