September 19th is National Talk Like a Pirate Day, and this is the third year that we've celebrated. We also partied with the Brockbanks last year, so it was fun to get together again to celebrate our traditions. We had the usual treasure hunt and pinata. We also covered the table in plastic wrap and ate with only our hands. This year we actually did a hand food with hamburgers and chips. And Nate and Brad ate their cake with their hands as well.Last year Mackay was held while Abbie and Tori hit the pinata. But this year Mackay was old enough to understand and enjoy the festivities.
For this holiday we really don't spend a lot of money. This year I thought I would buy some fabric to make bandannas. And then we remembered that Nate's costume from last year (Barney from Flinstones) could make a really good costume for a pirate if altered slightly. And with the extra fabric from his costume I could make Zack a costume. And then Nate found an old leather jacket of mine that we were going to be giving away and thought that would make a great costume for me. (Yes, he cut the arms off of it.) Nate also destroyed a white collared shirt and a pair of jeans. Ideas snowballed into much bigger and better ideas, and now we are prepared for Halloween and many Talk Like A Pirate Days to come.
Like Father like Son
At the end of the evening we played Dance Dance Revolution on the Wii. Mackay saw the adults playing, and really wanted a shot. At first she just stood there with her finger up her nose (literally), but she eventually got really into it--and it was adorable.
5 years ago

8 comments:
"GRRRRRRRR, not a finer bunch of matey's will ye find!"
haha, what a fun idea! You all look great!
You guys are awesome!
I like this holiday and your ideas so much that I think I'll be celebrating it next year. It looks so fun. You guys are so creative!
I love the family pirate picture! That would be a great picture for Christmas cards this year......think about it.
oh my gosh Kalli! could your family be any more adorable?!
oh, this is Katie Sparks by the way. :)
What a fun holiday to celebrate! I love having any reason to celebrate. That is so funny about the holy ghost that would have been hilarious.
I'm so glad we did that together, it was such a blast! What did you guys dress up as for Halloween?
Post a Comment