When I was a young seven year old boy, I had a surgery. As a consolation to having this surgery, my parents told me that I could get a present. I sorted through the "D" section of the World Encyclopedia and found my dream dog, a white Samoid. I negotiated with my parents for weeks so that I could get this dog, I put my heart and tears into the those negotiation--but to no amend. Days before I had the surgery my mother some how convinced me that my consolation present should be a $9.00 alarm from PACE (the local bulk grocery store...before Sam's and Costco).
I tell you this to emphasize how much I have wanted a dog over the years. My parents just wouldn't budge. Since we moved to Dallas and since we currently have a backyard we have played with the idea of getting a dog. I have spent hours at night searching Craiglist and Dallas Rescue centers for a suitable dog. This search was recently escalated when I read "Call of the Wild" and "White Fang" by Jack London. If you haven't read this American Classic I highly recommend it.
Here is a picture of Rio--a brazilian terrior which currently is living in a rescue less than two miles from our house.
I tell you this to emphasize how much I have wanted a dog over the years. My parents just wouldn't budge. Since we moved to Dallas and since we currently have a backyard we have played with the idea of getting a dog. I have spent hours at night searching Craiglist and Dallas Rescue centers for a suitable dog. This search was recently escalated when I read "Call of the Wild" and "White Fang" by Jack London. If you haven't read this American Classic I highly recommend it.
After much debate between getting a large dog or a small pansy toy dog, we finally came to family consensus that Rio would fit in with our family. The day after I finished reading "White Fang" we went to PetSmart who was sponsoring the rescue. We played with Rio and had a great time. Then we filled out the adoption papers...all 5 pages of adoption papers. They asked all sorts of questions from personal references to whether or not we had paid the pet deposit.The following Monday I got a call from the rescue and the inquisition continued. They drilled me about what "inside/outside" meant on my application. The lady was extremely rude. A couple days later we went to the rescue during my lunch break and played with Rio which reconfirmed our favor for him.
Then the bad news struck. On Saturday Kalli got a call from the rescue who told her that after much "prayer and soul searching" they could not let us adopt Rio.
WHAT? Are you kidding me. The excuse was that they did not feel comfortable having this dog in a home with a 20 month old. I just don't get it. We were willing to take this dog off their hands and pay the $200 adoption fee. The rescue itself isn't any bigger than our house yet they have probably 400 cats and at least 10 dogs. Rio himself was once on death row, on a 6 month tenure had been adopted once before and returned; yet, they wouldn't let a loving family take him in. These people have absolutely no idea what they are doing. But if they want to continue eating the cost of having an extra dog around I guess that's their choice.
So needless to say, we are leaving it at that. No Rio. In fact, the whole experience was such hassle and so frustrating the for the time being my desire to adopt a dog is delayed if not altogether gone. I'm pretty disappointed! Mostly because my pride was hurt.
Here are some pictures that have been requested by my mom. We took them a week ago as practice for Kalli's growing photography kick. Hope you enjoy.
--Nate

7 comments:
Sorry about Rio! I hope that you get that dog you've always been wanting! By the way - you still have such a good sense with words - you always have!
that stink about the dog. at least you guys can travel and not have to worry about what to do with the dog. that is always our hold up and the apt living. when are you guys coming down again?
Haha - that is horrible about the dog! :( But funny at the same time - their stupidity kills me! I love the photos :) So adorable and I like them cause I too have been getting a little into photography... thought not nearly as skilled as yours!... I feel like my camera is holding me back however and I wondered what camera you have - I want to look into getting a new one... :)
Yeah right Nate is turned off to having a dog! We had decided before we found out we couldn't have Rio that we probably weren't going to take him anyway. Then, the bad news. "Great", we thought, "a blessing in disguise. Now we don't have to decide! We just won't get a dog right now." THEN, I came home from a photography shoot and on the internet were pictures of dogs from different animal shelters.
Nathan, I promise! It wasn't my "prayers" that kept Rio in the clink. Sorry your alarm didn't have a wagging tail, wet tongue, and four legs so it could run, and jump, and play with you all those years ago. It did have a pretty good bark!
I can't believe they wouldn't let you adopt him! How sad that you have had such a hard time getting a dog throughout your whole life!! Hopefully the perfect one will come along.
Don't be discouraged. Having a dog is definately worth it!
Post a Comment